On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 5:52:34 PM UTC+1, QUBE-A-LICIOUS wrote:
> On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 5:42:44 PM UTC-5, schnuren...@gmail.com
> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 10:51:12 PM UTC+1, QUBE-A-LICIOUS wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I have a fresh install of Qubes 4r4.  However, when I reboot and or login
> > > I have to manually change dom0 time to UTC.
> > >
> > > Impact: Whonix/Tor does not work because of the incorrect time.
> > >
> > > Manual workaround:
> > > 1.  Get the correct UTC from a browser.
> > > 2.  Open Dom0 Terminal and update to UTC such as the following:
> > >
> > >       sudo date --set "2018-02-13 21:30"
> > >
> > > 3. Shutdown Service:sys-whonix
> > > 4.  Restart a whonix domain such as Domain:anon-whonix(this restarts the
> > > sys-whonix service that was just shutdown.
> > > 5.  Then run WhonixCheck to make sure it works.  It usually does and
> > > Whonix/Tor is functional.
> > >
> > > =================
> > > Qubes cannot be this bad, really.
> > >
> > > How can I have this Date and time correctly updated on boot up?  Like it
> > > should.
> > >
> > > Thanks for all your help.
> > > NSJ
> >
> > Most times it is easy to point on another guilty one instead looking what
> > may happen with the own stuff. So far you are the only one with this
> > misbehavior.
> > Qubes works as expected - at least in this point.
> > But most user already experienced this behavior; qubes-os or any other
> > distribution.
> > The keyword is hwclock. You always update the software-based time, but if
> > you restart, all temporary data is gone. (should)
> > So your OS fetches at boot the time from the bios.
> > If you update your time within the qubes-os, you should update your
> > hardware clock (hc) as well: sudo hwclock --systohc
> > If your time resets when you unplug your device from power supply, your
> > device's battery is flat.
>
> ----------------------------------
> I did some analysis this morning.  So at the same point in time the following
> settings on my Qubes laptop showed the following values.  (Bottom line is
> that whonix/tor does not work)
>
> 1.  The hardware BIOS clock is:  1030  (BIOS battery good, removed laptop
> battery for few hours and date/time stayed same)
>
> 2.  Dom0 time is: 0530 ( via date command)
>
> 3.  service:sys-whonix is:  1030 (via date command)
>
> 4.  Clock on upper right of screen is:  0430
>
> Tor Boostrap info is:
>
> Whonixcheck gave up waiting
> clock skew -21635 in directory from DIRSERV
>
> sudo date --set “2018 -02-18 17:30:00”
>
> -----------------------------
> I think that on a normal bootup the clocks should be in sync and Whonix/Tor
> should work.

bios time differs a lot from dom0 and dom0 time seems in the UTC (timezone),
while the clock on your desktop should be therefore in the -1 hour timezone.
There is already something wrong, isn't it?
Could you please set the correct time in dom0 and do a 'sudo hwclock --systohw'
to get dom0's sys date and bios time in sync.
And reboot pls. After reboot check the time in bios, dom0 and your clockVM
(probably sys-net) before connecting to any network.
In System Tools -> Qubes Global Settings in dom0 you can check the name of the
clock VM.
The time of your whonix should, as far as I know, differs in timezone as qubes
built-in rule randomly each bootup of the VM. (Do not know for sure)

I either do not know whether sys-whonix only changes the timezone and if it is
an attack surface if someone from the outside could simulate/fake specific
minutes and seconds your network-time-daemon adapt and your whonix could be
associated to your isp.

Even there seems to be some misconfiguration I never got, the behavior
remembers me to an empty hardware battery.