On 03/13/2018 08:20 PM, Drew White wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 11:06:22 UTC+11, Chris Laprise  wrote:
The current VPN doc is here:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/
Thanks for the reply Chris, but that is not what I was looking for as I was wanting to use pptp VPN connections (and similar), not a Qubes VPN.

I think you mean "not an OpenVPN..."?

FWIW, the resources at those links are meant to be adaptable for non-OpenVPN setups, and they don't impose any particular type of routing (other than forbidding access that most call 'leaks'). As for accessing the LAN directly through a VPN VM, there are simple ways to make an exception for it.

It is in need of an update (Qubes 4.0 and ease of use) and we're waiting
for review and approval of new scripts and documentation.

I'm using Qubes 3.2, because that's the most recent version that is runnable.

The thing is, a VPN is created from inside the Guest to call outside, so there
should be nothing needed to be altered other than allowing the proxy to have
access to the outside world.

Once the VPN is created, that connection is used for everything that is not on
the internal network.

It depends on the routes setup for the VPN, and this goes for PPTP, OpenVPN, whatever. The default routing that for-pay VPN providers use is "route everything upstream" but user has some control. If you run/control the remote end also, then it all depends on what you want.

I also want to have one where everything that is going to happen on the remote
network is pushed through the VPN, and everything else remains using the local
connection.

So there are 2 ways I'm looking at having it work.

But at first, I just want a standard PPTP connection.

There are plenty of guides out there. But when searching for examples keep in mind that a Qubes proxyVM behaves much like a router (not a PC endpoint) so that may be the best type of guide to use.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket