On 1/6/20 4:11 PM, Claudia wrote:
January 6, 2020 8:20 PM, "Chris Laprise" <tas...@posteo.net> wrote:

On 1/5/20 11:30 PM, Claudia wrote:

I don't know much about PSP, or ME for that matter, but it seems to me you're
mostly screwed either
way, so I figured I might as well save some money while I'm at it. This was
even before the recent
Intel shit show.

Indeed. These management engines are ubiquitous, so I think we should
try to answer the question: Can they be properly deactivated?

Given everything else, its possible the answer is 'no' for Intel (we
already know this) and 'yes' for AMD.

Plus, I got a really good deal on this particular machine (so admittedly a bit
of an impulse buy).
And I have to say, despite a lot of troubleshooting and a few remaining
glitches, it actually runs
Qubes surprisingly well, all things considered. But... yeah, kids, don't try
this at home.

I tend to shy away from 'consumer' models, bc they almost always
misconfigure advanced features like the IOMMU as the firmware isn't
carefully managed. Dell describes Inspiron models as "Home and Home Office".

On top of that, though, IOMMU problems and ACPI bugs and such appear to be
widespread in the Ryzen family, across different computer makes and models,
including higher-end ones and motherboards. I think there are some links about
it in some of my other threads. That's what makes me think Ryzen itself has
some problems of its own, or at least certain generations or something. Bad
firmware can break good hardware, but good firmware can't fix bad hardware.
Other AMD product lines though like Threadripper for example don't seem to be
any worse than Intel from what I've heard. But like I said, it's really not
that bad, all things considered -- I now have fully working suspend/resume
which is more than a lot of Qubes users can say.

That's good to know. I just noticed your long HCL update thread for the AMD Inspiron. Since I'm behind with the HCL list and you put so much work into your report, I'll move yours to the top of my queue. It should get listed sometime this week. Thanks for the detailed reporting!

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket