January 7, 2020 4:18 AM, "Chris Laprise" <tas...@posteo.net> wrote:

> On 1/6/20 4:11 PM, Claudia wrote:
>
>> January 6, 2020 8:20 PM, "Chris Laprise" <tas...@posteo.net> wrote:
>> On 1/5/20 11:30 PM, Claudia wrote:
>>>

>> I don't know much about PSP, or ME for that matter, but it seems to me
>> you're mostly screwed either
>> way, so I figured I might as well save some money while I'm at it. This was
>> even before the recent
>> Intel shit show.
>>> Indeed. These management engines are ubiquitous, so I think we should
>>> try to answer the question: Can they be properly deactivated?
>>>
>>> Given everything else, its possible the answer is 'no' for Intel (we
>>> already know this) and 'yes' for AMD.
>>
>> Plus, I got a really good deal on this particular machine (so admittedly a
>> bit of an impulse buy).
>> And I have to say, despite a lot of troubleshooting and a few remaining
>> glitches, it actually runs
>> Qubes surprisingly well, all things considered. But... yeah, kids, don't try
>> this at home.
>>> I tend to shy away from 'consumer' models, bc they almost always
>>> misconfigure advanced features like the IOMMU as the firmware isn't
>>> carefully managed. Dell describes Inspiron models as "Home and Home Office".
>>
>> On top of that, though, IOMMU problems and ACPI bugs and such appear to be
>> widespread in the Ryzen
>> family, across different computer makes and models, including higher-end
>> ones and motherboards. I
>> think there are some links about it in some of my other threads. That's what
>> makes me think Ryzen
>> itself has some problems of its own, or at least certain generations or
>> something. Bad firmware can
>> break good hardware, but good firmware can't fix bad hardware. Other AMD
>> product lines though like
>> Threadripper for example don't seem to be any worse than Intel from what
>> I've heard. But like I
>> said, it's really not that bad, all things considered -- I now have fully
>> working suspend/resume
>> which is more than a lot of Qubes users can say.

One correction I thought of: A lot of motherboards have three options for
IOMMU: enabled, disabled, and auto (default). Changing it from auto to enabled
sometimes makes the grouping more granular (but not always, and usually not by
very much). A lot of consumer BIOSes, including mine, only has two modes:
enabled and disabled, though I think my "enabled" is really just "auto". So
that might be one aspect where firmware is to blame. It's hard to say, unless
you can collect detailed information on a lot of different hardware. I'm just
going by the vague and scattered reports that I've come across.

> That's good to know. I just noticed your long HCL update thread for the AMD
> Inspiron. Since I'm
> behind with the HCL list and you put so much work into your report, I'll move
> yours to the top of
> my queue. It should get listed sometime this week. Thanks for the detailed
> reporting!

No rush. I still have a few changes to make to the report itself, including the
fix for suspend. I'll go over it again and post an updated copy. Do you prefer
updates be posted in a new thread or the same thread? Also, some things like
USB Qube are still a work in progress... or at least I haven't totally given up
yet. A recent finding makes me think it could be a PCI reset problem. But that
stuff can be updated again later if/when I have a fix for it.