On Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 1:06:45 PM UTC, M wrote:

> I can’t figure out how I can use the USB modem HUAWEI E3372h to connect to
> the internet in Qubes OS 4.0.3.

So having watched these threads over the past week, I have some comments:

First, you have a very finicky device. The mode issue needs to be resolved.
Depending upon the template (fedora/debian) and version (-xx) there is very
likely an executable you can install via apt or dnf in a template to
control it.

Second, *USB-connected* *network* devices are often difficult get working
in Qubes because of the use of sys-usb to "virtually" connect the device to
your "network" VM using the "usbip" stack. The issues arise due to defects
or unsupported functions in the linux usbip stack (not Qubes), which make
things fail.

In particular, I have found that a device that can reconfigure itself to
appear to change type is likely not going to work with usbip.

Therefore: my recommendation is to avoid utilizing usbip at all, which
means avoiding the usb-attach/usb-detach features of Qubes entirely (that
is, avoid managing this device using qvm-usb and/or the device widget).

You can either make your current sys-usb into a provides-network VM
(easier, but not the way I'd go...unless I already devices dependent on
that config) or use the salt feature to uninstall the entire sys-usb
feature (removing the sys-usb VM) and instead manually assign the entire
usb controller to sys-net, utilizing qvm-pci in dom0 to attach the pcie
device.

That way, you're only dealing with issues in one VM which you can treat as
a regular fedora or debian install. There are likely existing resources
that can tell you how to manage the mode switch of that device with that
version of fedora or debian.

That's all I have.
Brendan

PS - the second approach, removing sys-usb altogether, assumes you don't
have a USB-based keyboard or mouse (or other important peripherals) that
you've set up to work through sys-usb.