On 8/6/20 10:37 AM, fiftyfourthparal...@gmail.com wrote:
    I hate to break that feeling, but Fedora is unique in that it doesn't
    sign its repo metadata, and sadly that is what matters. They put a
    bandaid on it by fetching more hashes via https... so the update
    security in Fedora is based on the strength of https. That is bad, as
    https can be subverted by resourceful attackers.

On the other hand, following the instructions on these sites shows me that /etc/yum.conf and the repos in /etc/yum.repos.d/  all have gpgcheck=1. I'm not sure what this means.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/security-guidelines/

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/12/html/Deployment_Guide/sec-Configuring_Yum_and_Yum_Repositories.html

IIRC that setting refers to checking packages, not the repomd.xml files. That's why an attacker can't replace packages with their own versions; they have to manipulate the metadata to hold back packages from receiving updates.

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket