> For the qubes way to change the vm keymaps, idk sorry. I only know it
> does
> not allow to change your keyboard options so I looked away.

For me at least, changing the xfce setting carries through to i3. This
also propagates to VMs, but only once on VM start. Repeated propagation
is slated for r4.1.

Alternatively, VM keyboards can be changed from Qube Manager (right
click, set keyboard layout) when VMs are powered on. This should
persist, but is specific to one VM.