Hi Liam,

In multi-level models DIC can be 'focused' at different levels. In MCMCglmm, DIC is focussed at the highest possible level because this is the only level at which it can be analytically computed for non-Gaussian models. The highest level is not the level at which most scientists want their information criteria focussed, and so I would not recommend it. In fact I have wondered about removing it completely from MCMCglmm. Cross-validation is a much better approach, and in some ways is what information criteria aspire to. But its more computationally demanding of course.

Cheers,

Jarrod