Hello Adrià

The number of parameters in the model is equal to the number of transitions
that are estimated, or free to vary. For example, if you have 3 states: A, B,
and C, the ARD model estimates 6 rates, from A to B and vice versa, from B to C
and vice versa and from A   to C and vice versa. For the example you give
below, if I understood correctly that you only have two trait-states, then if
you fix B->A to 0 then that transition is no longer free to vary (thus not
estimated by the model) and you’d only have a single transition being
estimated, A->B.

Cheers

Alejandro
Dr Alejandro Gonzalez Voyer
Investigador Titular B

Coordinación de Docencia y Formación de Recursos Humanos
Instituto de Ecología

Laboratorio de Conducta Animal
Instituto de Ecología
Circuito Exterior S/N