Alex Shinn wrote:

> What I'm more interested in is the unusual behavior
> that the result _either_ raises an exception _or_ returns
> an unspecified number.  I believe this is the only place
> in any of the reports where the semantics is the disjunction
> of signalling an error and an unspecified value.  What's
> the story behind this?

I don't remember, but here's what I suspect.

In the R5RS and earlier, the phrase "is an error" was used to
mean implementations were allowed to signal an error or to
return an arbitrary value, at their discretion.  In the R6RS,
the "is an error" phrases were removed.  Most of those phrases
turned into "an exception is raised", which represented a change
from the R5RS semantics, but not here.  In this particular case,
the new language appears to be an attempt to preserve some of
the meaning of the R5RS "is an error" semantics.

So I believe the language here is unusual because attempting
to preserve R5RS "is an error" semantics was unusual.

Will