I've been systematically looking at different Linux GUI environments, on and
off, for a while now.  I currently use macOS on both my desktop and laptop but
have Linux and Windows virtual machines.  I might switch to Linux for the host
OS at some point.  The thing I am finding to be lacking in all the Linux GUIs
I've tried so far is, surprisingly, some basic usability issues.  It's things
like target areas for the mouse that are too small.  For example, I have to go
back and forth a few times to get the mouse on the right spot to resize a
window.  There is often a lack of feedback.  For example, you click to run and
application and nothing happens.  You don't know whether it errored out
immediately or it's just being slow to start up. There tend to be a lack of
keyboard shortcuts (compared to the Mac.)  What would really be nice is
keyboard shortcuts that don't conflict with the terminal.  So you can, for
example, use keyboard shortcuts to cut and paste between the terminal and the
GUI.  Too often, things just don't work and stay that way too long.  For
example, in Ubuntu 12 to 14, and possibly even more recently (I left Ubuntu
after 14), TCP/IP would not work if you set it up in the GUI.  You had to use
the command line.

James