I've been hacking on a way to make *simpler* slideshow presentations, which
I'll actually present briefly at Racketcon next month. The idea is to take
something plaintext and turn it into slides, so you don't have to be a pict
master. I am trying to work in how to include slides that are Picts, but it's
still a bit early.

Naturally, the resultant slideshows are slideshow (the tool) compatible, and as
a result, allow for speakers notes and handouts to be included. I hope to have
a lot more posted next week, but the start of what I'm talking about is at:

https://github.com/apg/slideshow-simple

Not sure if that meets your needs yet, but hopefully it will soon.