I can't say how soon I'd get to doing it, but I would potentially be
interested in submitting a pull request. I can see the benefits of the new
setup as you explain them, and I probably need to live with it for a while
longer to know what I prefer for editing Racket code, but the ability to
render the contour in a separate canvas% would be much better for the other
application for which I was experimenting with text:inline-overview-mixin.
In that case, the lines almost always fill the full width and rely on
auto-wrap, which means the contour makes the actual text essentially
unreadable.

-Philip