I guess you've probably already found the implementation, but just in
case, it is here:

https://github.com/racket/gui/blob/master/gui-lib/framework/private/inline-overview.rkt

I think the thing you'd want to do is break out the code currently in
the on-paint method (and things it needs) into a separate function
that can be called from that on-paint and from a separate canvas%
object. Then have a mode so you can tell an inline-overview that there
is a separate canvas% object, in which case it won't do any drawing in
on-paint but will just notify that canvas when it needs to be
refreshed. I think you'll want that canvas to NOT have scrollbars at
all (manual or otherwise) and just have the text tell it what to draw.
There will also be some work to get clicks to go backwards to move the
insertion point, which will amount to a similar process, but with the
on-default-event method.

Then, once those two modes work, we can set up a frame mixin that
manages the two modes (hiding and showing the canvas% object from its
frame, as appropriate) and then add it to DrRacket.

Does this make sense?

Robby