I would second what Jim says.  Radiant makes it so easy to write extensions,
that if I were you I would just roll my own.  I did something similar for
event registration.  If you make sure to add the public facing route in your
extension file, then you can just link to your newsletter signup form from
within a radiant page.  No need even to have to create any custom radiant
tags.
HTH,

Jamey