I'd been wondering if there was a better way to categorise blog entries
than the failed 'related content' that I'd recently commented on and
the complicated - to my eyes at least - way that Sean described.

I found the 'articles' plug-in and tried that.

Well, for a start, it failed:

Processing ArticlesController#new (for 99.225.104.173 at 2008-12-13
11:04:53) [GET]
  Session ID: B%3D%3DAh7CT--949acabffeb177aedfc7b4b5a203351201c0f32

  Parameters: {"action"=>"new", "controller"=>"admin/articles"}

Rendering template within layouts/application

Rendering admin/articles/new

ActionView::TemplateError (undefined method `enable_comments' for
#<Article:0x40d440a0>) on line #130 of admin/articles/_form.rhtml:
127:

128:

129:   <p style="clear:left">

130:     <%= check_box "page", "enable_comments" %>

131:     <label for="page_enable_comments">Allow Comments?</label>

132:

133:     <small>

I suspect, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to verify, that the
 'comments' extension is a necessary pre-install.  However the author
didn't mention that in the documentation or installation instructions.

On top of that, the admin/UI doesn't seem to have any way to CRUD the
categories or determine which authors can use which categories.

Perhaps I'm being unkind and this plug-in is incomplete. However there
is documentation on other plug-ins, but not this one, that says they are
incomplete.

The following rant is not meant to be about code; I'm not looking at the
code, I'm just looking at things from the POV of a use and installer.

<rant >
Radiant has great potential, but, apart from a few people, Sean and
Chris being the most outstanding, the Geeks rule.  The code may be great
but the usability sucks.  The READMEs are sparse, the installation
instructions missing and the examples for use non-existent or confusing
(the gallery extension must be up there among the most confusing to use).

I wouldn't mind so much if the author wrote things like 'This software
"works for me", but it may not work for you.'  That's fair enough.

But lack of this means a great waste of time.
</rant>

--
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
    Robert Heinlein (1907 - 1988), The Notebooks of Lazurus Long