> They want a 'magazine' type structure, with forum and blogs,

yes

> using a
> single sign on.

dunno what you mean by that

> So someone can open an account, and be given permission to write
> articles.  These are then approved by designated "editors" and
> published both to the front page, and to 'category' pages depending on
> what category the articles belong to.

dunno but it sounds pretty useful

> Comments may be left by visitors,

of course

> who may or may not choose to sign up
> for an account on the site.

maybe

> All comments are moderated before being
> published.

yes

> If they sign on with an account, they may choose to
> receive notifications via email when the comment is replied to.  They
> may also edit their comments (again, which are moderated) if they sign
> up with an account before-hand.

That could be a nice add on.  I don't think anyone as made this yet.

> Visitors may use the forums on the site.  I intend this to be
> something like phpBB, and somehow manipulate the phpBB cookies to make
> it a single sign on scheme.

There is a new new forum extension but I haven't tried it out yet.

> Visitors with accounts may be selected by moderators to have their own
> blogs.  In addition, blog articles can be 'nominated' to the front
> page or a category page.  In addition, there is a "blogs" page where
> the most recent blog articles from all authors are shown.

This sounds ambitious with Radiant

> This sounds like standard CMS stuff, doesn't it?  The only sticking
> point  seems to be the overall account scheme, where a single user
> account can do multiple things depending on what permissions it has.
> Will Radiant easily support these features, or is some hard
> development work required?

 From my experience with radiant I think a few of these features seem
like you will be doing some development work to achieve.  That said
the CMS is quite flexible and I'm sure it could be made to do these
things.  I can't believe I'm saying this but with what your trying to
do may I suggest you first look into Drupal before you start this
project with Radiant.  I don't know Drupal very well but I do know
some sites made with it that have similar features.  Good luck with
what ever you choose.

Steven