2009/11/22 Anton Aylward <anton.aylw...@rogers.com>:
> Asfand Yar Qazi said the following on 11/22/2009 10:10 AM:
>> 2009/11/21 Anton Aylward <anton.aylw...@rogers.com>:

> I'm a strong believer in simplification, and one of the axioms is "Each
> Thing Does One Thing and Only One Thing".  Overloading a single engine
> to do all you want sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Well, I'm not really overloading a single engine.  The radiant engine
will only manage blogs and articles.  That is kind of what it is
designed for, I'd assume - dealing with articles and presenting them
in some format accessible by a menu hierarchy.  The separate forum
software (whatever it is) will manage the forums.  If the client wants
something else added in the future, like a video presenting
application, obviously that would be its own app.

However I see what you're getting at.

> [1] See Rick Smiths' book "Authentication"
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201615991?ie=UTF8&tag=emergentprope-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0201615991
>    P122: "Indirect Authentication dresses the scalability problem
>    posed by sites with a single user population but multiple points of
>    service. Even a site with just two servers will want to avoid the
>    headache of maintaining consistency between two separate
>    authentication databases."

That seems like a good way to implement user access control across
several services, thanks.  I shall see if I can have it done between
the forum and radiant app in an extensible manner (hopefully without
the use of something like LDAP, which I loathe too, even though I am
proficient in it).

Regards,
    Asfand Yar Qazi