Endnotes are an alternative to footnotes.
Long footnotes can intrude into the page, using endnotes moves them 'out
of band'.

I've created an otherwise blank page "/endnotes/" and the endnotes live
under there.  Hyperlinks from the text lead there.  simple enough, eh?

But I don't want people to hack the address bar and look at the page
"/endnotes/" itself.  So I marked it as "Page type: file not found" and
it should come as a 404.

It does.  The only problem is that so do its children.
And I have explicitly marked them as "<normal>"

Is this a bug?  Is it inherent in the logic of the way things work or it
is something I've done wrong?

--
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and
catastrophe.