Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
> Rob Levin wrote:
>
>> I've just started working at a place that is using Radiant for it's web site
>> and I've noticed our general pages are usually somewhere around 150kb and
>> take, on my system, around 800ms. FWIW, just now dslreports showed my
>> download speed (on my client box) avg at around 5000Kb.
>>
>> Since it's a small start-up I'm going to be the one to further "tune" site's
>> performance. That being said, I'm not a sysadmin nor do I have experience in
>> this sort of thing (disclaimer). We are using Radiant version 0.8.1 with
>> Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server on RH4 (don't ask) and using Passenger with
>> ruby enterprise edition: 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) Ruby Enterprise
>> Edition 20090610. We have our own dev server but for production we're using
>> server beach.
>>
>> Looking at our Radiant instance's /config/environment.rb file I noticed the
>> following line so it looks like Radiant caching is on right?
>> config.middleware.use ::Radiant::Cache
>>
>> So my questions are: What would be a checklist of things that may be
>> degrading our site's performance? Besides generally reducing http calls and
>> sizes, what Radiant specific stuff can I do to speed things up? Even links
>> to relevant Radiant docs would be helpful. What would be a good time per
>> size metric to shoot for? Thanks all!
>>
> Are you trying to reduce the 150KB or the 800ms?
>
> If you're after the size, you'll need to look at the content more
> closely - there are probably stylesheets and JS files that are larger.
> You may need to minify them - I think the SnS extension (or one of its
> cousins) does that: http://ext.radiantcms.org/extensions/53-sns
>
> If you're after the time, I'm not sure where the time is going - you
> will probably need to see the logs to see where the time is being
> spent.  Are you using many extensions?  Are your pages being populated
> as a result of many queries (database and/ or HTTP)?  Finally, you can
> change the page caching time to a much larger value compared to the
> default 5 minutes if your pages can manage it.  Remember that a page you
> edit will be expired from cache when you edit it and all pages are
> expired from cache when the site basics (snippets, layouts, etc.) are
> changed [if I remember correctly].
>
> Lastly, others may be able to help a bit more if you point us to the
> website :D

... and I think it's good practice to have your style sheets not stored
in the database, save them to the file system directly so that there is
no overhead every time a style sheet is requested - but that is a
tradeoff between simplicity (you/ your designer can edit it directly
through the Radiant interface) and performance (no Radiant involved in
serving it up, straight from Apache).

12/29/2009 | 8:48 AM.