some things that come to mind immediately:

- make sure you are not serving css and/or js from radiant
- make sure you have mod_deflate setup up to compress all text files
- avoid excessive use of page parts
- avoid using paperclipped or page_attachments for design assets (like
your logo or icons or things that don't need to be managed by your
content editors)