Thanks for the tips Charles, Sean, et al. Yeah, I saw mod_deflate in our
list of Apache modules, but ahem, I don't see any initialization code so
it's definitely on my todo list (as well as concat/minify JS, mod_expires,
etc.,etc.) However, I should mention that just setting the radiant cache to
24 hours alone has made a huge impact in perceived performance. So much so,
that I can probably punt for a few weeks on some of the other performance
related adjustments.

Of interesting note (for someone else who may be about to reset the cache)
it really seems that the default Radiant caching wasn't happening at all
(before I made the change). I'm inclined to say that this was somehow our
fault (wish I knew exactly why) and not Radiant's. That being said, after
making the appropriate changes to /config/environment.rb in the config after
init block (see older post in this thread for exact syntax details) it is
definitely "kicking in" and working great.

Of interest:
passenger will use the /config/environment.rb file's permissions to start
Rails instance(s) as this user, unless, the file is set to root, in which
case it will set the rails instance(s) to user nobody. This comes from the
Passenger docs. Who cares? Well, we had to chown the /tmp dir recursively to
user nobody (the directory that radiant uses to cache). Before doing so, we
had http 500 internal server errors. This is more a unix permissions thing
than a radiant thing, but it's in the context so I mention it as
forewarning.