I've built probably 20 sites in radiant and although each site has
similar requirements, there are just as many differences. I usually
have a default set of pages and CSS I create and I always use the
nested_layouts extension by default.

Usually Home pages are different than child pages so I give them a
separate layout.
If I need a two column layout, I make a separate, two column template
using XHTML, CSS, and 960.gs columns for reference and stick in my
Radius tags to make the content happen. I started out trying to use
"if_url", "if_content part" and other conditionals to figure out if
the current page needed multiple columns or not, but I find it much
simpler now to make a unique layout depending on what the page
requires and just set the pages layout manually. The nested_layouts
extension makes it much simpler to roll out new layouts as needed.

I found out the gain in building a pristine layout that automatically
adjusted to each page was not worth the time and effort and it was
usually complicated and difficult to change anyway. Just about every
time, the project I'm working on needs something unique (and rightly
so) so I don't bother building a catch-all layout. I just build it as
it comes.  I'm sure if I got obsessed with building a "theme" it would
get hacked to pieces in the end anyway when it was put into
production.

I really like the Joomla and Wordpress contrasting going on because I
love how Radiant topples those CMS's design philosophies.  Every time
I work in Wordpress or Joomla I get frustrated because I don't have
the freedom of Radius and Layouts.