Hi Leigh,

Emerald, PLatypus and Rodopi are all very functional, with lots of good
features. Here is a potted summary of the pros and cons as I see them:

Emerald: PC GUI, MS-SQL, very easy to install, good features, but you must
install MS-SQL first.

Platypus: PC GUI, MS-SQL, probably a bit more mature than Emerald. Installation
is a bit mnore involved than the others (you have to create the database and
databse device yourself from instructions), and instll MS-SQL first

Rodopi: lots of nice features, web interface, with server programs running
under IIS. Very easy to install, but requires MS-SQL and IIS to be installed
first.

In all case, installation is not too bad, but you will have to spend some time
configuring it to suit your needs (adding the packages, services and prices
etc)

I would be inclined not to chooose on the basis of how easy it is to install
and configure, but on the features offered. On that basis,its hard to choose
between Platypus and Rodopi. Emerald is prob behind those two.

This might be a case of "purchase in haste, repent at leisure", though I dont
think you will have serious problems with any of them.

Radiator works fine with all of them, and will auth direct from their database,
and insert accounting direct to their database.

On Feb 18,  4:54pm, Leigh Sandy wrote:
> Subject: (RADIATOR) Recommendations for ISP Billing System
>
> We are in the process of evaluating a billing system for our office.  We
currently have about 2000 dial-up customers and are transitioning from
Livingston Radius to Radiator.  Our current billing system is QuickBooks Pro
and it is really a pain.  Any comments on Rodopi?  Platypus?  Emerald?  Do any
of them build the server with all the software preinstalled and configured?  We
need something that won't take much of our time to configure.

> Leigh

would like to set radiator up to try authenticating from AuthPLATYPUS and if
the SQL server is down then attempt authenticating from a flat users file, this
would allow my remote radius servers to authenticate if there was an sql server
failure or a leased-line was down.  Is this possible and would there be a delay
on each auth if the sql server were down or would it get marked as down until
it came back up?

--
Mike McCauley                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd             Unix, Motif, C++, WWW

Platypus, Freeside, external, etc etc etc on Unix, Win95, NT, Rhapsody