On 6/29/09, GeorgeS <chobur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well.  The consensus seems to be that it's my fault.  This is not
> exactly what I was looking for.  Doesn't anyone want to suggest
> special gravel wheels or, even better, a new frame of the "country"
> variety?  I mean I fell twice.  Should be some equipment here that I
> could explain to my wife is critical to my safety.   Thanks though for
> the input.
> GeorgeS

Hell, I'd be annoyed too if I had a perfectly good medical reason to
buy a new bike, or at least new tires, and everyone told me, "Don't
bother, it's your technique"! I say, run with it.

I don't ride on gravel a great deal, but I do ride in sand, and
insofar as sand is like gravel (it's just a lot smaller -- juuuuuust
kidding) in that it's slippery, I am a gravel expert. And so, what I
recommend is a 60 mm WTB knobby -- I know and love the Exiwolfs and
the Weirwolfs -- one a Snowcat rim; this will give you a tire at least
2 1/2 inches wide that you can safely ride at 15/18, at least if you
are not a lot more than 170 lb. Technique does play a role, though, if
you wish to use a road tire in this size, like the Big Apples.

And forget little 650b wheels; those are for the little people. Use
700c wheels. They float over small bumps and give much better traction
and float.

Only half my tongue is in my cheek. (The other half is in my pocket.)
I really love my Monocog 29er set up as a on/off road allrounder with
said BAs and Snowcats, drops, fenders, and a modest 63" gear. Not
Rivendellian, but unfortunately the only Riv that comes close, the
Bomdadil, only takes skinny tires. (It does have vertical dropouts,
but you could use an eccentric bb.)

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM