On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 10:27 PM, JL<subfas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have always had a difficult time owning just one bicycle.  It seems
> that no matter how many times I imagine the most ideal bicycle model
> and setup I change my mind after a few weeks or months and alter the
> setup.  My solution to this is to have more than one bike, set up and
> designed for different purposes or types of riding.  There is a
> correlation with how much I enjoy bicycling and how many bikes I own -
> they seem to feed off each other and both increase because of each
> other.  This trend changed a little when I found Rivendell.  The
> versatility of their bike gives the potential for one frame to take on
> many different lives and for one bike setup to have enough crossover
> into other areas that a near all rounder status can be reached.  Has
> anyone been able to achieve a one-bike-for-everything-I-need goal?   I
> think part of the situation is that with  enthusiasts of anything the
> line between need and want gets blurry.

I've come to think that the all-rounder situation is only possible if
your riding is fairly limited. I consistently put over half my annual
miles on one bike; my Surly Cross-Check. That's my main commuter and
cyclocross racer and i'll take it on road rides that have light trail
or gravel riding. Of course, i also ride my Redwood on roads and easy
trails and gravel too, and it's my most comfortable bike for all-day
rides (like today's 70-mile lunch run w/Timmac and 3 others). But
there are lots of trails that are way more fun to ride on my mountain
bike. I rode that mountain bike as my only bike in dirt and road
setups for many years, but it wasn't a good road commuter. I also like
riding singlespeed/fixed in my daily rides, but for mountain or long
road rides i want gears. No single bike can possibly do it all, so i
basically use four (those plus my 3-speed).

So yeah, if you don't like to mountain bike, and want the same gearing
options on all rides, the all-rounder is certainly feasible, but
otherwise not.

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN