On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:

> On 06/14/2016 06:23 PM, Reed Kennedy wrote:
>
>> I've been a Rivvy sorta guy for the last ten years, owning several of
>> their bikes and numerous others built up in Riv-inspired ways. Recently
>> I've been reading through back issues of Bicycle Quarterly, and back posts
>> on Jan Heine's blog. It's got me wondering about this whole
>> alternate-universe practical bike thing he describes, which seems to be
>> characterized by low trail steering geometry, flexible frames, and carrying
>> loads up front.
>>
>> I'd love to try it, but such bikes aren't exactly common.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with both Rivvy (mid-trail, burly rigid
>> frame, carrying stuff all over) and the more French rando / Jan sort of
>> bike? What did you think of each?
>>

> Yes indeed.  I sold a Rambouillet to get a Johnny Coast-built Velo Orange
> Randonneur, and I sold a Saluki to get one of Mitch Pryor's MAP
> Randonneurs.  In each case I went from OS Riv tubing and high trail
> geometry to standard diameter thinner gauge and low trail geometry.  I
> liked the Rivs, but I like the "BQ style" bikes a lot better.

Great feedback, thanks Steve!

Mind if I ask what you think of the MAP Randonneur, and which wheel size
yours is in? I've actually found a used Map Randonneur in my size and for
sale near me. I'm awfully tempted, but had been hoping for a 650 x 42 wheel
and tire, and this one is set up for 700 x 32.

Best,
Reed