I recently sold a bike and shipped it via Amtrak to New York. Shipping,
including insurance, was about $80. I used their box (bigger than the box you
would use for BikeFlights) and a bunch of pipe insulation to cushion the bike,
and it arrived safe and sound at the Amtrak station in Syracuse in about three
days.

The biggest advantage to using Amtrak is that you can use their box, which
requires only that you remove the pedals and turn the handlebars. The seat can
stay in place (except, I suppose, on a very tall frame).

Shipping the same size box via BikeFlights, FedEx, or UPS would cost around
$600 (I checked).

--Eric N
campyonly...@me.com
www.CampyOnly.com