I used only canti brakes a quite a while. Then I went ro discs. When I
discovered v-brakes, I wondered why I had bothered with discs. For true MTBs, I
think discs are an advantage in mud, and I prefer XT-level hydraulics, which
have been faultless, for me. Most mechanicals are fiddly, though the best I've
found are TRP Spyres, which are less so. Back to v-brakes: TRP CX9s are the
strongest brakes I have used--bar none, including discs. They don't allow much
more than a 35mm tire with fenders, but they are strong enough to pitch anyone
over the bars. On my Appaloosa I'm running Avid Single-Digit 7s, ands they are
more than strong enough for me--as good or better than any mechanical disc I've
used.

Having said that, there's this: Riv can't win the battle against industry
"progress" on this issue, unfortunately, because the perception will be that
the bikes are pre-obsolete and the fear will be that replacement parts will be
unavailable. Both will hit sales harder and harder as time marches forward. I
ride with 30-year-olds who have never owned a bike without discs. As these
people age and acquire the earning power to embrace a wider set of values in
their bicycles, they will likely reject the bikes on the brake issue. I love
everything about the company, including their collective stubbornness, but I
would also like to see the business survive and thrive.

Jay