I don't roast my own beans, I don't brew my own beer, and I don't fabricate my
own bicycles.
I've been good friends with professional coffee roasters, I've used a La Pavoni
lever machine for 25 years, and I've been a barista for years at a time. I
roasted free Jamaican Blue Mountain in a cast iron pan once, and it was
fantastic. I have a pass-fail approach to coffee: "Does it taste like coffee?
Does it taste like GOOD coffee? Sweet."

I do ferment my own cider, elderberry, quince, what-have-you. I do build up
bike frames in an idiomatic style and ride them in an idiomatic pass-fail
style: "Am I having a good time? Am I having a REALLY GOOD TIME? Sweet."

Making stuff is fun, and soul-rewarding on three separate levels. If you need a
hobby, go ahead. If you already have more skills than time, don't.

Philip
www.biketinker.com