Is Rivendell even taking AHH orders now? I seem to recall an email saying they
were putting a pause on the Waterford bikes until the wait times were under
comtrol.

I'd get the Sam for the riding you describe. It is a bit more versatile, much
less expensive, and yet the quality on the bikes I have seen is excellent. The
AHH strikes me as the defining Rivendell of the early 2000s.

Good luck!

Cheers!
Chris