I have both, and I agree with the Deacon.  From the standpoint of pure joy
when riding I like the Homer more; it feels lighter and more responsive
when riding, although it's also smooth and stable.  After my first ride on
it I told my wife that I ever had to reduce my N to 1, the Homer is a
strong candidate to be that one.

Having said that, the Sam is a bit heavier-duty, which I think would suit
you better for the type of riding you describe.  The Sam's not as zippy as
the Homer, but it's hardly a slug.  It feels more tour-ish, but it's still
responsive and is a smooth, comfortable ride.  As the Deacon said, both
would fit the bill, but in my opinion the Sam would fit it a little better.
 I've set up my Sam as a light tourer and carry loads on it, and use the
Homer for unloaded recreational rides.

Others have mentioned the differences in availability and cost, which you
can evaluate easily on your own.  One other consideration I'll mention is
that the Homer is available is more sizes, while the Sam has more limited
selection.  I've discovered that I don't like to be on the edge of
Rivendell's recommended range of PBH for a model; I want to be toward the
middle.  If you're on the edge of Sam's range then I recommend a test ride
if possible to be sure it won't feel too big or small in the available
sizes.

Dave