Bill brings up the excellent point of the meaning of “best value.” To me value
means: provides high ride quality, experience, dependibility, and longevity at
a cost commensorate with the work required to achieve that. Compass tires are
my best value tire, though they cost more per mile than quite a few tires,
simply because the ride quality and experience far outweighs their higher cost
and the (in my experience) slight increase in flats (since I ride tubes, easily
repairable in the field).

I generally keep coming back to two options, interestingly diametrically
opposed in cost. Sugino, as Bill suggests. Or White Industries MR30. I’ll keep
playing, and I may well ride this full season with the Suginos and decide after
having the option of a full year of bikepacking fixed with the option of a
bailout granny ring.

With abandon,
Patrick