Hi Leah,
Quite a few recommendations for ABUS Bordo folding locks-- so here's my
counterpoint. I have two Bordo folding locks (sold as a pair with matching
keys). One reason I got them was compact fold and carrier, which can be
affixed to water bottle mount.

In practice, they are not very easy to use. The pieces swivel on one axis
and it can be very difficult to get them in the proper orientation to affix
to a pole or other object. The total length of the Bordo lock is
misleading, because the pieces are ~6" long and solid. By contrast, a cable
lock is very easy to wrap around many objects (and your bike).

Another downside is once Bordo is locked around bike, it can flop around.
This is potentially a problem as your bike can move, possibly falling and
getting damaged. Yikes. To avert that, I've used Irish straps around the
bike rack+bike to keep it from falling.

I find a small U-lock (e.g., Kryptonite Mini-U) to be much easier to use.
It is small-- which means lighter, easier to carry, and more difficult to
defeat via leverage break. The small size also means that my bike stays
upright-- I lock via Sheldon Brown-method or at the headtube. (My bike has
pitlocks, so I'm not worried about the wheels or seatpost.)

When I'm riding with my kids, I usually lock my bike with the small U-lock.
I have a separate cable that I loop around their bikes. I also add a cable
lock through the main triangle of all the bikes. (Admittedly it's to
prevent grab and go. Otherwise fairly easy to defeat a cable.)

Good luck!
shoji
Arlington MA