> Hi, Leah.

I wouldn't have anything to do with a cable. I had my bike stolen 30 years
ago from a high traffic area of sunbathers and pedestrians in the middle of
the day with a heavy duty cable lock.  I'm still skittish about locking my
Joe A. in the city, but I'm OK with my locking protocol for outside the
area.

I have two heavy duty Arbus u-locks--a big one and a bigger one--that I
purchased last year.  I think they cost me about $100/$125 each. I lock my
bike frame and one wheel to an immovable pole with the bigger lock.  I use
the big lock to lock the second wheel to the immovable object or to the
frame.  If they want to steal my bike, they have get thru two locks.

I suggest you put the best lock(s) you have on your much-loved Betz.  The
other bikes, should anything happen to them, will be much easier to
replace.  I think with some good locks, thieves will more likely walk past
your bikes.

Enjoy your bike rides and your vacation.

Roberta