Yes, Hugh that's my point entirely. I think I'd worry less about the
satisfaction of getting a friction shift right & more about the satisfaction of
changing ones own tire.
On the other hand bike shops are suffering now, they can use all the flats you
have to be fixed!

People who don't know how to fix a flat buy bikes online. They don't have any
tools, etc. Then they end up paying to have it assembled. Ultimately, these
days it's not even about saving money, it's just that front end convenience of
clicking & buying. Even if it means more work on the back end.
It's like they see it, get excited, click on it & when it shows up, maybe
they're surprised it's not assembled!?
It hurts my brain.