Leah, you basically confirmed what I was saying, not so much who the typical
Rivendell buyer is, but who they are not and that is a person who makes a habit
of reading Bicycle discussion groups. We are the overzealous, over analytical,
OCDs who agonize over tube lengths; we are the exceptions and likely a thorn in
Grant's side. If you've been to Rivendell HQ you know there's a luxury sports
car dealership right next door (Maserati I believe), my impression of Walnut
Creek is pretty much summed up by that. My impression is many of the locals
wouldn't think twice about dropping 2 or 3 large on a bike & parking it in the
corner of the garage. A very beautiful expensive bike that likely never gets
ridden. That to me is kind of the curse of the expensive bike.
The North American Handmade Bicycle Show will be in town in March and I am for
sure going, if for no other reason than to gawk, but in the back of my mind I
am thinking "should I or shouldn't I?" An angel on one shoulder & a devil on
the other; certainly a blank check could get me anything I desire. Hmmmmmm . . .

Question is if I get a Custom Retrotech or Blacksheep, etc. Would I ride it?
Might it be too precious? I expect I would, but I  would have to really think
about it and if I have to think about it, is it worth it? Sorry, slightly off
topic.