Oh, this has been so interesting! I am taking a break from errands and cleaning
to catch up on here, and then back to my floors. This List is a good reward for
getting the undesirable stuff done - I’ll treat myself to reading your posts
when I’m through with the dreaded housework.

Mark Roland - hurry up and build your bike so you can contribute here! We might
be the only two who have had Clementines and the 2019 Clem L. And I am not as
helpful as you when it comes to dissecting their differences.

Dorothy - you are the kindest. If ever I’m in your neighborhood, we shall ride
little Clems!

Adam Leibow - your Day in the Life of A Clem video is boss. You are so cool.

Bob Lovejoy (whose name I covet) - thank you! I measured my 52 Clem to have
50.5 inches hub to hub, so hope that helps someone. I’m wondering how long the
new iteration of Cheviot will be, and I’m glad I have a comparison, knowing
what your 60 is. There’s s hope it won’t be longer than 48 in my size...

Steve Cold and DougP - I’m so glad this thread took off and everyone had such
interesting points of view and useful contributions. So pleased you also find
it enjoyable and instructive. Me, too!

To answer Masmojo, et all, about Who Shops At Rivendell and what kind of
knowledge base do they have, I offer a couple of thoughts. Reflecting on it, I
realized I am walking on both sides of the line here. I’d venture that most
folks shopping at Rivendell know what they’re getting. They will expect a
beautiful, useful, comfortable, enduring bicycle that they can only get in a
handful of places country-wide, and they’re willing to shell out the bucks for
one. Regular people who are not in the know would say I was a NUT for spending
more than a few hundred bucks on a silly bicycle - those aren’t the folks
shopping at Riv.

Though I wasn’t a proficient in the language of bikes, I was driven to
Rivendell because of *need.*  I loved to ride my bike and couldn’t find a way
to get comfortable on it and be able to carry things and pull my kids around.
My neck was killing me and that “upgraded” saddle was unspeakable. I felt
defeated because I’d had Walmart my whole life but had splurged on a Craigslist
Trek (my very first “nice” bike, at age 30) and I was worse off than I was with
the broken Walmart Schwinn. I was totally demoralized. I took my money and
headed to local bike shops for help and they rarely listened, dismissed what
mattered to me, and, if I ever did get their attention, they couldn’t offer
anything to help me. I turned to cycling forums for help (another nightmare)
and heard the name Rivendell. I didn’t speak a word of bike geek at the time,
but here was a bike shop promising me the things I’d been searching for and
best of all, they were nothing like the cycling forum people or the big name
bike shops. I pored over the website. I knew nothing about bikes, but I knew
everything about Rivendell.

Even though I don’t speak the language of bike geometry, I know when a bike
feels good, and I can identify the problems they give me. Had I never thrown a
leg over a Rivendell, save my current blue beauty, I’d be very pleased with the
comfort level. I wouldn’t know the bike was long until someone told me, or
until I realized it wouldn’t fit onto my bike rack. I WOULD know that the bars
were too far away, I just wouldn’t know there was anything I could do about
that. I’d know the bike was unwieldy to lift and also heavy. I don’t think my
concerns are a result of a bike geek poring over numbers and comparing them, I
think my concerns are real and I’d have them even if I had no other Riv ride to
compare to. So, I’m on both sides of the line.

I feel like I’m taking you too far down the rabbit hole and losing the point,
so I’ll stop there. Mom always says you have to say something nice after saying
something harsh - and since I feel like I’ve expressed some disappointment in
my Clem I will balance it with this: My bike is gorgeous. Heart-rendingly
beautiful. I see it - I smile. It’s romantic and strong and capable and you
can’t have it. He’s just kind of a big guy, that’s all. But I can live with
that. 💙

Back to floor cleaning!