Wow, thanks for the considerable insight, everyone! I really appreciate the
assessments, personal histories, preferences and the rest.

I'm currently running Albatross bars but find I most often ride in the
forward position of the bars, in front of the brake levers. It's nice to
take the full upright position to change the grip and riding posture but
I'm finding it is my least favorite grip. I do love the look of the bars,
can't deny it and won't try to hide it.

The bike I have now is a little big for me, I can *just* stand over it. Not
much seatpost showing (similar, perhaps, to the too-big Sam that Grant
wrote about in one of the readers). When I first bought it there were some
45cm drops installed, the widest I'd tried to that point. I thought they
were pretty groovy and almost felt great. But the stem was way too long and
I had become possessed of the idea of trying out Albatross bars.

Of the big bars out there the Nitto/Crust Shaka bars have my attention. As
others have mentioned the cost and time involved in a swap is considerable.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing.