Roberta:

If you’re worried about hills, why not try a three-speed? Sturmey Archer hubs
come in a 120mm width to fit “fixie” or “single speed” frames, but also easily
adapt with spacers to fit 126mm (perhaps wider). Set your top gear as your
“flatland” gear and go down from there. Unless you’re climbing something really
steep, you can gear down enough to get over most hills.

I rode fixed for years, then switched to Sturmey Archer’s three-speed fixed hub
(S3X) and them converted that hub (on two different bikes) by replacing the
splined S-A cog with a one-speed freewheel.

Reminder that Tommy Godwin rode 3- and 4-speed bikes up and down England in
1939 through two brutal winters and the start of WWII … completing more than
75,000 miles before the year was out! So yes, long and difficult rides can be
done on internally geared hubs!

--Eric Norris
campyonly...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy