Back when I rode mountain bikes more than I do now I loved to ride a single
speed...actually, a fully rigid single speed. I have a Niner Sir9 setup
single speed with the RDO fork they offer. Great light mtb. It's lot of fun
and while technically "harder" there is just something about the simplicity
that is appealing...maybe the extra challenge of picking the right lines
for a rigid bike and for rear wheel traction while standing while pedaling
made it more fun. For a while there I completely preferred to ride a single
speed mtb over anything with gears. The trails aren't particularly flat
either with lots of really steep short climbs that you have to use momentum
and technique (and stand up power) to get up.

Last year I bought a used Frank Jones Sr. and have been riding some on the
back roads during the pandemic. I like it a lot but most of the routes I
take with it are fairly flat...more out of laziness than anything. It's a
great bike to just cruise around on and I don't have to care at all about
shifting. Just pedal and go. It's also a beautiful bike and has a lively
ride, which make the experience more pleasurable.

The key to having a good time on a single speed is to find the right
gearing for you so that you are somewhat comfortable most times. You will
always be in the wrong gear, but it's more tolerable when you aren't
spinning too much on the flats or grinding away on the flats. When you do
encounter a climb, you stand up and use your body weight...and shift your
body weight to retain traction. If it comes to the point where you are
grinding too much, you hop off and walk it. Nobody can really give you much
crap for that since you are riding a single speed. ;)  Going down...you do
a lot of coasting. (I never really got along with fixed gear bikes because
I like to coast when I can).

A true single speed, and not one that uses a chain tensioner like a Paul
Melvin, feels like every watt you are putting out is being put into making
you go forward. There is a simplicity in the whole drivetrain that you can
actually feel while riding.

Plus, maintaining a single speed bike is stupid simple and cheap.

Also, I think bikes look better without all that shifting stuff hanging
from the tubes.

If you are on facebook there is a group called Single Speed or Death and it
is filled with people addicted to the single speed bike. Some of them take
that whole single speed only a little far, but it is a good group for the
most part.