Roberta,
   I'd ridden SS / Fixed off and on just for the heck of it in past years –
initially as a way to get a rideable bike out of a dumpster bike that had a
busted derailer... Then in grad school, 'cos I wanted to tool around NYC
all cool-like, as the messengers... "NOBR...AKES"
Anyhow, I've recently got back into it again, mostly out of curiosity to
keep up with a riding buddy who was riding his fixie a lot, nearly
exclusively. Well... I've done close to 300 miles on a SS this year, about
half (?) my miles so far. (In Michigan, the riding season is on the short
side.) Rode 50 miles, only 1,500 ft of elevation gain total, on Sunday in
single-speed mode, and 23 miles this morning in fixed... My average speeds
have been mostly the same as on a geared bike similarly configured.
One thing I noticed when riding fixed is that my position / fit on the bike
gets sorted out real quick. I also noticed my pedaling load and cadence
ranges expand. Aside from that, it's just got a nice simplicity :-)

- Max "just one" in A2