I have several pairs of the VP "Thin Gripsters" in colors, many pairs of
the MKS RMS "Sneaker" pedals (best bang for the buck in silver pedals and
they have reflectors), tried and sold the Catalyst pedals a few years back,
several pairs of Deity TMACs in colors, one pair of MKS Lambda "Grip
Kings", one pair of Ergon PC2 Wide pedals, one pair of VO Sabots, one pair
of Shimano Saints, one pair of Chromag Scarabs (polished silver on my
Rivendell Custom), one pair of Speedplay Drilliums, and many others
(Lyotard Berthet, MKS Urban, etc. in the parts stash).
I have short wide feet - 9 EEEE with very high arches (I am 6' tall), so
width is the most important thing, but it is important that the width be at
the ball of my foot, over the axle, that is why I have never been a fan of
the MKS Grip King / Grip Monarch style pedals (narrow where I want wide)
and have gravitated to the Deity TMAC and Chromag Scarabs. The VO Sabots
have been workhorses also - the thinnest that still take reflectors.
When I was younger, I rode barefoot, 1st on "RatTrap" pedals (think MKS
Touring, but sharper edges), then on Campagnolo Record, then on Phil Wood
Platform pedals, all with toe clips and straps (still have at least one of
all three). I got used to having the ball of my foot over the axle and that
is my default position. The Ergons are best for barefoot followed by the
Phil Woods.
Lately I find myself moving the ball of my foot farther forward (maybe I
abandoned the Catalysts too soon). I may be doing this because I have
started to lower my seat - partly to make it easier to swing my leg over
the bike, partly to make it easier to mount the seat from a stop
(step-through doesn't help on the mount from a stop). Thinner pedals also
help with getting the seat lower.
Pedals are one of the three contact points with the bike along with the
saddle and the handlebars, and just as important and just as personal of a
choice.
The Ergon PC2s are very comfortable, the problem is that they are not
silver and are ugly, ugly, ugly (and no longer made), but they are growing
on me and starting to look better.
I have been wanting to try the Crust MKS Gorditos as something that may
pass Eroica event rules - they look like large versions of the old RatTraps.

Laing
Delray Beach FL