I find 38-44mm to be the sweet spot for me for road (and road-ish) riding,
including brevets but certainly not including crit racing. I can see
wanting narrower if you need that razor-sharp handling and instant power
transfer for fast, tightly packed peloton racing but otherwise the only
argument that makes sense to me for narrower road tires is that one simply
prefers the road feedback of a higher pressure, lower volume tire.  I find
38-44mm at ~40psi gives me the balance between feeling the road but also
smoothing out the bumps.  Bigger than this and I feel that I'm giving up
more in feel (slower, less precise steering; disconnected from the road)
than I'm gaining in comfort. Of course, this is much bigger than popular
road riding belief, but I chalk that up to trickle-down from racing, which
doesn't actually represent what makes sense for most riders.