My custom Riv--designed for long rando rides uses a 650b x 42 mm tire
(currently Grand Bois Hetre EL).  I love them.  My Roadeo uses 700c x ~31mm
Grand Bois Cypres EL. It is not as smooth riding as the 42 mm tires, but I
am still very comfortable and don't feel like I "need" wider tires.  I've
done up to 300 km brevets and double centuries with the Roadeo.

On my custom I do not see a need for wider tires on asphalt, but could see
a use for gravel/mixed terrain riding...

On my 700c Ram, I did feel like there was degradation of handling if the
tire size was too high because of the increased BB height, but that was my
own personal anecdotal experience.  If you are loving the ride with the
wide tires, then you can definitely go with that and ride great long rides.

Toshi in Oakland.