I'm a light rider and have run Rene Herse tires in 26, 28, 32, 35, 38 and
48mm widths over the same terrain which is mostly paved roads. Starting at
either end of the spectrum, the 26's felt like ice-skating in the best
scenario but would flat if I even looked at a gravel road. I wasn't willing
to pump them up past 80psi to avoid flats so those got the boot pretty
fast. The 48's on the other hand were what I'd call idiot-proof. I would
aim for the potholes on pavement and they were disconcertingly confident
(and fast!) off-road.

32's and 35's were probably the goldilocks widths for paved rides longer
than 70 miles while carrying stuff. If I weighed more, carried more, or the
bike was over-built, 38's would be right there too. These days, my rides
rarely go past 60 miles so a couple candy bars and 28mm tires on a road
bike is all I need.

If I were more of a masochist with my riding and knew sleep deprivation and
all-road conditions were on the horizon, I'd go with the widest tire I
could fit. But if I want to feel quick and nimble, 28-32s do the best for
me.

- Andrew