For road riding on a compliant frame a 32-33mm feels "just right". Even a
liitle more narrow is good. My favorite tires these days is a Schwalbe
Marathon Racer 35mm which measures 32-33mm on a Mavic A719 @37-42 PSI. I
don't notice them, and that's the point. This is with my Franklin road
bike. While it can take a 38, it's actually worse with a wider tire. It's a
matter of feel, of detail, of precision and handling. A .3mm mechanical
pencil feels and writes a whole lot different than a .9mm. A bolder font
doesn't make these letters any easier or better to read than they are
presently.

In contrast, I ride my Bombadil on the road and no matter the tire, be it
38mm or 50mm, it feels overkill to me. I think it has more to do with the
nature of the frame and it's handling though. Ironically, even on
primitive, broken up hole ridden roads I prefer the ride and handling of
the Franklin road bike. It tends to glide over everything, while the much
stiffer and wheelbarrow-like steering can be a bit jarring and ragged
feeling on the same surfaces.

Within the confines of this group it may appear a certain number may prefer
wide-r tires, isn't it funny how one tends to focus on that which agrees,
and ignore/dismiss that which does not. In reality "everyone" rides
"everything". Take a look at bicyles/riders all around the world and you'll
find such variety you quickly realize there is a certain silliness to any
and all claims of this or that tire as "best" or even "required" for this
or that surface.