1x11 works perfectly.  I had to get a fairly wide BB spindle to keep the
chain off of the tire in the smallest gear, but it works beautifully.  I
think I ended up running a 122.5 BB.    The longer chain stays actually
help mellow out the chain angle on the highest and lowest gears.  I’ve done
this on my Atlantis in the past as well and have had no problems.