On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 5:36:22 AM UTC-5 Jay LePree wrote:

 I  think this is exacerbated by the growth of Swift, etc.  Riders have
increasingly big engines, but not the riding skills to harness them safely
in a group ride.

That's been a subject of conversation at the pro level, where people are
being picked up out of Zwift Academy and getting pro contracts.  Even
before then, I saw lots of people with plenty of power but no group riding
skills create chaos in the pack.

What keeps me away from group rides these days, aside from becoming an old
fart, is the rampant blowing off of traffic signals and "itching for a
fight" attitude cyclists take toward car drivers. Also, as Paul Fournel
says in _Need For The Bike_, "Hell is the rhythm of others."

The guy I do most my riding with smiles and waves at everyone, regardless
of how polite or impolite the encounter. And, he and I share the same
rhythm 99.9% of the time.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA