Patrick - as far as I know, "honking" may have been used for either seated
or standing positions, but the way I recall Sloane describing it, it
consisted of placing one's hands on the flat bar tops.  It's difficult to
imagine hands in that position when standing on the pedals.

Also, in pacelines that I have ridden in the distant past, I have found
that the hands down on the hooks with the fingers "just reachable" to the
brake levers is the optimal position.  That way you can gain maximum
aerodynamic advantage while "feathering" the brakes as necessary to keep
and appropriate distance from the rider ahead of you.  In fact, when
Campagnolo was occasionally criticized by some during the 70's that their
Record series brakes lacked adequate stopping power, they responded by
saying that their brakes were designed to "modulate speed," not just to
stop the bike.